Drivers

FMCSA Seeks Comments on ELD Registration Plan

October 29, 2014

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration took a step toward the pending electronic logging mandate with a notice about registering the devices log manufacturers will bring to market.

The agency’s Electronic Logging Device (ELD) rule, which is expected to be published next year, will require manufacturers to register their devices and certify that they meet technical standards.

In a Federal Register notice Tuesday the agency asked for comments on its plan to fulfill this requirement.

The agency said it expects 22 manufacturers to register as many as four devices each.

The agency will issue an identification number for each device and will post a list of manufacturers and their devices on a web site so carriers can find out which devices have been approved.

The agency is accepting comments on this plan until December 29.

Comments

1. 1. Bob Vogel [ October 30, 2014 @ 05:31AM ]

If the dummies in Washington had a clue how this industry actually works, they wouldn't even think about electronic logs! All of them should b required to spend at least 3 days driving a truck before they consider any new laws an regs. I'm an owner operator and if they actually require this to happen I will be selling my equipment because there's no way to make a living with electronic logs if u run totally legal. I personally think they just want to put all us o o out of biz. Just another shitty idea from burocrates that have no clue as to what's reality!!!!! BIG BROTHER GO AWAY, BRING BACK HOFFA!!!!!!!

2. 2. Kenny Scott [ October 30, 2014 @ 05:56AM ]

The EPA and Fmcsa has Ruin my business plans and retirement plans which I have worked for 40 years to reach. My goal now is to get all Federal government workers retirement reduce by 30 percent and make them feel the misery they have created for the American trucker and workers

3. 3. cb [ October 30, 2014 @ 06:53AM ]

Another step closer to a collapse...logic would tell you that with turnover at 140% and 70% of o/o's saying elogs will be the last straw, this won't end well...But on the other hand, look at the rest of the country...i believe the bet is that amnesty will have every seat in the trucking industry filled...

4. 4. Steve [ October 30, 2014 @ 06:55AM ]

Since fmcsa's grand idea is company owned Elogs, what stops a desparate income hungry trucker from working at 2 different companies, ?

5. 5. Richard Pingel [ October 30, 2014 @ 10:24AM ]

Just another case of FMCSA getting ahead of themselves. Before you can have a registry of E-Log makers, you have to have the specifications published, which they haven't done yet.

6. 6. Justin Yelle [ October 30, 2014 @ 03:41PM ]

Love my 1985 MACK!! All mechanical.E-log this!! I will take my over 25 years safe driving abilities with me when I leave this industry.I plan to flip burgers at the local burger joint.

7. 7. Bonnie [ November 01, 2014 @ 08:14AM ]

The EPA and FMCSA don't they are destroying this industry especially the oil field industry. We all ready don't enough work. This will not help because we work on 24 call not 9 to 5 job 5 days a week.