Interstate 25 in Denver to close for 2012 Presidential Debate Oct. 3
October 01, 2012
On the evening of Wednesday, Oct. 3, Interstate 25 will be completely closed in both directions from the Santa Fe Drive (U.S. 85) interchange to the Hampden Avenue (U.S. 285) interchange for the 2012 presidential debate at the University of Denver.
Although all closures, dates and times are subject to change, it is anticipated that the 6-mile portion of I-25 will be closed from approximately 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Federal authorities requested the closure to help ensure safety during the presidential debate.
Alternate routes are advised and detours will be in place to provide access to neighborhoods and other areas, but delays can be expected throughout the transportation system.
Also, oversize/overweight vehicles and longer vehicle combinations (LVCs) will be prohibited from travel on the I-25 corridor between I-225 and I-76 from 3 p.m. to 11 p.m. and on U.S. 85 (Santa Fe Drive) between I-25 and Hampden Avenue (U.S. 285) and on Hampden Avenue between Santa Fe Drive and I-25 from 3 p.m. to 10 p.m.
There are numerous other to pass through the city (see maps at www.cotrip.org
):For southbound I-25 traffic passing through the city:I-25 to Santa Fe Drive (U.S. 85)
- Continue south on Santa Fe Drive to Hampden Avenue and travel east/north on Hampden to I-25 (posted detour route)
- Continue south on Santa Fe to C-470 and travel east to I-25 I-25 to I-70
- West on I-70, connect to C-470 and travel south to I-25
- East on I-70, connect to I-225 and travel south to I-25 For northbound I-25 traffic passing through the city:I-25 to Hampden Avenue
- Go west to Santa Fe Drive (U.S. 85) and travel north to I-25 (posted detour route)I-25 to I-225
- North on I-225 to I-70, then west to I-270 or I-25To avoid the entire area, these routes provide additional options:Southbound I-25 alternate routes
- I-76 east to I-270 to I-70 to I-225 (preferred)
- I-70 east to I-225 (preferred)
- E-470 to I-70 or I-25 (tollway)Northbound I-25 alternate routes
- C-470 west to I-70 (preferred)
- I-225 to I-70 (preferred)
- E-470 to I-70 or I-25 (tollway)
University Boulevard is not a recommended route on debate daym as it will be closed in sections at various times. Also, beginning at approximately 6 p.m. on Oct. 2, Buchtel Boulevard will be closed from Franklin Street to University Boulevard with local eastbound access to High Street.
On the day of the debate, CDOT and Denver Public Works will work to minimize further impacts to roadways from construction and maintenance work in the affected area.
Extended Courtesy Patrol (CDOT's free motorist assistance program) services will be provided on I-25 all day on Oct. 3. In addition, the routes and services will be extended to 10 p.m. on Oct. 3 on I-25, I-225, U.S. 6 and I-70, Hampden Avenue and Santa Fe Drive to ensure added safety and mobility of travelers.
The Regional Transportation District is planning to operate the entire light rail system on its normal weekday schedule.
For the most current highway and road information on debate day, follow @ColoradoDOT and @DenPublicWorks on Twitter, visit www.cotrip.org
where you can sign up for text and email alerts, or call 511.