Bosch Long Haul Starters Replace OE Versions
July 21, 2013 - Products
Robert Bosch LLC
Bosch's new Long Haul 12-volt starters are designed to outperform and outlast their OE counterparts on most heavy-duty commercial vehicles. Built on the most current technology available in commercial vehicle starting systems, these starters include all the features necessary for the widest range of large displacement commercial diesel engine applications.
“High compression diesel engines require greater amounts of torque and power to turn over in all temperature ranges,” says Fred Padgett, group product manager, Rotating Electrical, Robert Bosch LLC.
“Bosch Long Haul Starters use a shock absorbing planetary gear system originally designed by Bosch. Mounted on rubber shock absorbers and located in a steel drive-end housing, the planetary gear carrier resists ‘kick back’ and eliminates drive-end breakage common in many competitive designs,” he says.
Other notable features include:
- Easy-to-use Universal Mounting Flange reduces SKU count which, in turn, simplifies inventory
- Over crank protection prevents damage and ensures a longer life
- Internal magnetic switch (IMS) ensures optimal voltage for starting in all weather conditions
- Fixed over running clutch with 50 percent less moving mass protects internal components in case of ‘blind start’ or ‘click no crank’
- Meshing spring for positive gear engagement during cranking. This eliminates ‘click no crank’ and prevents costly damage to the engine ring gear.
- Isolated external ground circuit promotes optimal grounding and maximum starting power
- Open nose design resists moisture, dust and dirt, preventing damage to internal electrical and mechanical components
- Dual composite long life brushes create better surface contact, less heat and lower current draw resulting in longer life and quicker starts
- Double chamfered pinion gear increases first time engagement and positive starts
- Protective cover shields the solenoid and critical electrical connections, ensuring positive connections and maximum starting power.
Go directly to this company's home page