Hendrickson Specialty Auxiliary Axle Systems wins Pace Award
May 25, 2012
Hendrickson Specialty Auxiliary Axle Systems was named a 2012 Automotive News Pace (Premier Automotive Suppliers' Contribution to Excellence) Award winner for its Compliant Tie Rod and Dampening System with PerfecTrak Technology.
The Pace award recognizes automotive suppliers for superior innovation, technological advancement and business performance
The award recognizes automotive suppliers for superior innovation, technological advancement and business performance.
Complaints of failed tie rods and premature failures of steering dampeners drove this innovation. The traditional rigid tie rod worked independently from the steering dampener and was subject to damage in the rough conditions in which vocational trucks are exposed. The new CTR addressed three issues: reducing tie rod failures due to bent crossbars, simplifying the steering dampener and increasing the system durability.
The new design concept of the CTR was able to provide the following additional benefits, while assisting with environmental green initiatives:
- Less tie rod replacements as the leaf spring crossbar can absorb object strikes and returns back to its original state
- No lubrication required on natural rubber tie rod ends because ball and seat style on traditional tie rod ends required regular greasing
- Reduced shock replacements with optimized dampener without coil which allows for substantially increased life cycle use.
- Toe setting can be adjusted on one side of tie rod assembly as opposed to having to adjust both sides on the traditional rods.
- Built in return mechanism is gained from the flexibility of spring steel tie rod working in series with the rubber bushing allowing consistent movement.
- Vehicle control improved because impact on one tire does not affect the motion/movement on the other tire.
For additional information, visit www.hendrickson-intl.com